Thursday, October 30, 2008

Word clouds for TDWG 2008

Some days ago I found a great application called Wordle. The application let you generate "word clouds" from text that you provide. It is very similar to what a tag cloud is but with the difference that it analyze the words in a document and not just the tags. The application analyze the frequency of word occurrences.

I gave it a try and I thought it could be interesting for others. For example here is the Word Cloud for the Proceedings of TDWG 2008. Basically I just copied all the text from the PDF and gave it to Wordle for analyzing.



Click on the image to view it in their Java applet.

Then I did the same but with Markus post about TDWG 2008. And here is the result:



They look similar but Markus I think has a higher geek level :D

Finally I could not resist and checked how it would look this blog and here it is:



Seems that the words that use most are Google and Data, even more than biodiversity itself (10 counts for Google and 6 for biodiversity). 

Finally, if you are interested in displaying word clouds in maps there is a recent post for one of my favorites blogs, cartogrammar. I dont see much use on it apart of that they look nice, and they indeed look nice!.


No comments: